Erectile dysfunction (ED) is the inability of a man to achieve or maintain an erection sufficient for his sexual needs or the needs of his partner.
Most men experience this at some point in their lives, usually by age 40, and are not psychologically affected by it. Erectile dysfunction used to be known more widely as impotence before the causes became better understood and successful treatments came into use.
What Causes Erectile Dysfunction?
There are two types of dysfunction that affect men’s sex lives: medical or psychosocial.
- Medical dysfunction. The patient may be suffering from the result of an underlying medical condition affecting the blood vessels or nerves supplying the penis. Medical ED can also be caused by prescription drugs, recreational drugs, alcohol or smoking.
- Psychosocial dysfunction. The patient may be suffering from psychological effects – including those from social relationships – on sexual performance. Men who experience depression, guilt, and severe anxiety are at higher risk of ED. Sometimes medical ED and psychosocial ED overlap.
The psychological causes of Erectile Dysfunction include:
- Stress, fear, anxiety, or anger
- Stress can include work, financial, and emotional problems
- Performance anxiety – repeated feelings of doubt and failure in which worrying about getting an erection can cause a cycle of anxiety that prevents one from being possible
- Poor communication with a sex partner
- Other relationship problems such as pressure from a sex partner – for example, because expectations make sex a task instead of a pleasure.
Erectile Dysfunction Symptoms
Symptoms can include: Inability to achieve erection, an inconsistent ability to do so, or the ability to achieve only brief erections. If you are chronically experiencing any of the symptoms above, we recommend making an appointment with one of our board-certified urologists today.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatment
Erectile dysfunction does not have to become a burden or a source of embarrassment. Men of all ages, including young men, can suffer from this penile condition. Advanced Urology Associates will discuss all of the dysfunction treatment options in the Chicago area available to you. We possess the knowledge and have access to the best resources and dysfunction treatment options. Regardless of the severity of your case, our medical professionals are equipped with the experience and education to tackle the issue from all possible angles. Reaching an accurate conclusion is essential to figuring out the best course of treatment for your individual situation.
Our dysfunction treatment doctors around Joliet will take into account factors like age, history and any related injuries or illnesses.
Sildenafil Citrate Treatment
Sildenafil Citrate has the same active ingredient found in Viagra. It is manufactured in the U.S. and FDA regulated, as opposed to alternatives from overseas and Canadian pharmacies. Sildenafil is available at our office today. Ask one of our board-certified urologists about Sildenafil at your next visit.
APWT (Penile Shockwave Therapy)
To determine if you are a candidate for the Acoustic Pressure Wave Therapy at our Joliet office, please schedule an appointment with one of our Urologists. Learn more about Shockwave Therapy.